February 20, 2012

accordion lath splitter

 When people find out I restore old buildings one of the inevitable comments goes something like: "you must find all kinds of cool stuff in the walls of those old places". The truth is finding anything interesting is surprisingly rare unless you're into rodent skeletons or outdated forms of insulation.
 That being said things do turn up, like this late 18th C lath splitter found sealed up in the cavity above a ceiling in an early house in Dresden, Me. The lath is 3/4" vertically sawn pine attached with 8d wrought nails.
 Accordion or splitboard lath was installed by nailing one end of a board then splitting , wedging, and nailing your way across an area to be plastered. In midcoast Maine accordion lath was used starting around 1790. Before then riven lath (lath split on all four sides) was used.
8" long x 1 3/8" wide x  1" thick



 The splitting wedge is made of white oak and very nicely fashioned. Oval in cross section and lightly chamfered on the strike end, it appears to have seen little use. I wonder if its owner ever realized where it disappeared to.

4 comments:

  1. Saw Nate in the KJ this morning. I did split board lath in my kitchen...with mixed results. I used dry, old boards and most of them just split apart all the way. I imagine REAL split board lath was done with green wood? And the wedges...probably had to use a few of them?

    Question. Did some roof repair on an old cider mill building in Belgrade. It's pretty in tact...along with the horse sweep and timber framed press. I imagine these mills were semi-common, but are many of them left? I guess Old Sturbridge Village has one.

    -Dan Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They may have been common, but as far as I know very few exist now. There supposedly was one down the road here in Dresden, but the building collapsed in the early 90's. Do you have any pictures from Belgrade you could send along? Or if possible I'd loved to check it out in person.

      -Nate

      Delete
    2. I'll be doing more work there later this summer, and I'm sure the owners wouldn't mind if you had a look. I've got some pictures too.

      -Dan

      Delete
  2. Fascinating- I have never seen a lath splitter. Wouldn't you think a metal tool would be more effective at splitting wood? Maybe both metal and wood were used? Anyway, thanks for posting these! Really interesting blog!

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work by Pownalborough Restorations LLC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.